Director of Undergraduate Studies
Director of Undergraduate Studies
Maryland Energy Innovation Institute
Maryland Energy Innovation Institute
3176 Glenn L. Martin Hall
- B.S., Cornell University (Mechanical Engineering)
- B.A., Cornell University (History)
- M.S., University of California, Los Angeles (Mechanical Engineering)
- Ph.D., University of California, Los Angeles (Mechanical Engineering)
University of Maryland, Associate Professor 8/06 – Present
- Conducting interdisciplinary research in combustion, micro-fluidics and small power systems
University of Maryland, Assistant Professor 8/00 – 8/06
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Post Doctoral Associate 7/98 – 7/00
- Worked to develop a 2.5 million RPM centrifugal compressor for a micro-gas turbine engine. Worked to develop a high volumetric heat release rate hydrocarbon combustor for a micro-gas turbine engine.
California Institute of Technology, Post Doctoral Fellow 10/96 – 5/98
- Investigated stability of shock wave - boundary layer interaction in SCRAMJet inlet flow.
- Acquired time series of Schlieren images illustrating inlet unstart caused by strong flow perturbation.
- Characterized steady and unsteady behavior using pressure and velocity measurements.
University of California Los Angeles, Graduate Student Researcher 6/89 – 9/96
- Studied use of an acoustically-excited dump combustor as a hazardous waste incinerator.
- Designed and constructed laser diagnostics facility for study of unsteady, reactive, cavity flows.
- Acquired time-resolved images of the hydroxyl radical (OH) concentration and temperature in an unsteady, reacting flow field using Planar Laser-Induced Fluorescence (PLIF).
- Conceived and constructed experiment to measure mass transport across a reacting shear layer.
Cornell University, Student Researcher (Prof. F. C. Gouldin) 1/89 – 5/89
- Developed computer program to help determine the composition of a gas mixture from its infrared absorption spectrum.
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
- American Physical Society (APS)
- The Combustion Institute
- International Society for Optical Engineering (SPIE)
- Reviewer for scholarly publications: Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, Journal of Propulsion and Power, Combustion and Flame, Combustion Theory and Modeling, Proceedings of the Royal Society A, Progress in Energy and Combustion Science, AIAA Journal of Propulsion and Power, Journal of Applied Physics, Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, Micro-Electronic Engineering, AIAA Journal of Thermophysics, AICHE Journal, Chemical Engineering Science, IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, International Journal of Alternative Propulsion, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy.
- Reviewer for government funding agencies: National Science Foundation, Army Research Office, US Air Force, American Society of Engineering Education, National Research Council of Canada, Dutch Technology Foundation STW
- Secretary and Treasurer of AIAA Propellants and Combustion Technical Committee, 2004 – present
- 2001 International Semiconductor Device Research Symposium, Washington DC, 2001.
- NASA Thermo-Fluids Analysis Workshop, College Park, MD August 7-11, 2006.
- AFOSR Space Propulsion Contractors Meeting, Annapolis MD, September 25-29, 2006.
- AIAA Joint Propulsion Conference (Propellants and Combustion Sessions), Denver, CO, August 2009.
Research interests include combustion (micro and conventional scales), laser diagnostics (conventional and micro), compact power systems, and fuel cells.
- Dellimore, K. J, Cruz, C., Marshall, A. W., Cadou, C. P., “A Slot-Jet Model for Film Cooling with Effect of Variation in the Mainstream Pressure Gradient”, AIAA Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, 23:1, p. 120-128, Jan-March 2009
- Heatwole, S., Veeraragavan, A., Buckley, S., and Cadou, C., “In-situ Species and Temperature Measurements in a Micro-combustor”, Journal of Nanoscale and Microscale Thermophysical Engineering,13, p. 1-23, 2009.
- A. Veeraragavan and C. Cadou, “Heat transfer in mini/micro channels with combustion: a simple analysis for application in non-intrusive IR diagnostics”, ASME Journal of Heat Transfer, 130 (12), p. 124504-1:124504-5, December 2008.
- Li, S., Day, J., Park, Y, Cadou, C., Ghodssi, R., “A Fast-Response Microfluidic Gas Concentrating Device for Environmental Sensing,” Sensors and Actuators A, 136, p. 69-79, 2007.
- Cadou, C. P., Moulton, N., and Menon, S., “Development of a Dynamometer for Measuring Small Internal Combustion Engine Performance”, Journal of Propulsion and Power, 23:1 p.194-202, 2007.
- John, S., Yoo, J., Wereley, N., and Cadou, C., “Application of CFD in the Design and Analysis of a Piezoelectric-Hydraulic Pump”, Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, Vol 17, pp. 967-979, November, 2006
- Leach, T., Cadou, C. P., and Jackson, G., “Effect of Structural Heat Conduction and Heat Loss on Combustion in Micro-channels”, Combustion Theory and Modeling, Vol 10, No 1, Feb 2006 p. 85-103
- Sirohi, J., Cadou, C., Chopra, I., "Frequency Domain Modeling of a Piezo-Hydraulic Hybrid Actuator",Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, vol. 16, No. 6, pp. 481-492, June 2005
- Heatwole, S., Cadou, C. P., and Buckley, S. G., “In situ Infrared Diagnostics in a Silicon-Walled Microscale Combustion Reactor: Initial Measurements”, Combustion Science and Technology, 177, 1449-1461, 2005
- Leach, T., Cadou, C. P., "The Role of Structural Heat Exchange and Heat Loss in the Design of Efficient Silicon Micro-combustors", 30th International Symposium on Combustion, Chicago, July26- 30, 2004
- Cadou, C. P. and Zhang, B., “Performance Modeling of a Piezo-Hydraulic Actuator”, Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 135-148, March 2003
- C.M. Spadaccini, X. Zhang, C.P. Cadou, N. Miki, and I.A. Waitz, "Preliminary Development of Hydrocarbon-Fueled Catalytic Micro Combustor," Sensors and Actuators, A 103 (1-2), pp. 219-224, 2003
Submitted Journal Articles
- Veeraragavan, A., Dellimore, K. J., Cadou, C. P., “2-D Analytical Model of Heat Transfer for Flames in Channels”, Accepted by AIAA Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, January, 2009
- John, S., Wereley, N., and Cadou, C. “Unsteady Fluid Flow in Hybrid Hydraulic Actuators”, Accepted by Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, April 2007
- Leach, T., Veeraragavan, A., and Cadou, C. P., “Analytical, Numerical, and Experimental Study of Flame Stability in Miniaturized Combustors”, submitted to Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, December 2005.
- Cadou, C. P., Moulton, N., and Menon, S., “Performance Measurement System for Small Internal Combustion Engines”, submitted to Journal of Propulsion and Power, September 2005.
- John, S., Yoo, J., Wereley, N., and Cadou, C., “Application of CFD in the Design and Analysis of a Piezoelectric-Hydraulic Pump”, accepted by Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, July 2005.
- Heatwole, S., Veeraragavan, A., Buckley, S., and Cadou, C., “In-situ Species and Temperature Measurements in a Micro-combustor”, submitted to Journal of Microscale Thermophysical Engineering, June 2005.
- Leach, T. T., and Cadou, C. P, “Effect of Fuel Type on Optimum Micro-combustor Design and Performance”, 43rd AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, AIAA-2005-939, Reno NV, January 10-15, 2005.
- Veeraragavan, A., Heatwole, S, Cadou, C., and Buckley, S., “Infrared Diagnostic Technique for Microscale Combustors”, 43rd AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, AIAA-2005-938, Reno NV, January 10-15, 2005
- Leach, T., and Cadou, C., “A Simple Model to Predict Stability Limits in Micro-combustors”, 4th Joint US Meeting of the Combustion Institute, Philadelphia, PA, March 21-23, 2005. Paper # B35
- Dellimore, K., and Cadou, C., “Modeling and Simulation of Fuel-Oxidizer Mixing Lengths in Micro-power Systems”, AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Meeting, AIAA-2005-4142, Tucson, AZ, July 11-13, 2005
- Cruz, C., Veeraragavan, A., Marshall, A, and Cadou, C., “Near-Wall Measurements of Gas Temperature in Conventional-Scale and Micro-Scale Rockets”, AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Meeting, AIAA-2005-4125, Tucson, AZ, July 11-13, 2005
- Li, S., Day, J. C., Park, J. J., Cadou, C. P., and Ghodssi, R., “A Fast-Response Micro-Fluidic Gas Concentrating Device”, Eurosensors XIX, Barcelona, Spain, September 11-14, 2005. Paper # WA11
- John, S., and Cadou, C. P., “Simulations of Dynamic Behavior of Hybrid Actuation Systems Using CFD”, SPIE Smart Structures Conference/Proceedings of SPIE vol. 5764, San Diego CA, March 7-9, 2005. p. 703-714
- Cadou, C., Jacobson, S., Youngren, H., Protz, J., Shirley, G., Tan, C., Epstein, A. “Microturbomachinery Fluid Mechanics”, Chapter 3 MIT Microengine Project Annual Technical Report, December 31, 1998.
- Marble, F. E., Cadou, C. P. “Mechanisms of Unsteady Flow in SCRAMJet combustors”, Final Report AFOSR contract F49620-96-1-0435, March 31, 1998
- Cadou, C., Gong, Y., Jacobson, Kahn, K, Phillipon, C., Protz, J. S., Tan, C., Epstein, A. “Microturbomachinery Fluid Mechanics”, Chapter X MIT Microengine Project Annual Technical Report, December 31, 1999.