Prospective transfer students (also referred to at UMD as "external" transfer students) are those students who have not yet applied to the University of Maryland. As a prospective student, you should begin by first reviewing the transfer application requirements as outlined by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.  

Students applying to the Clark School of Engineering will submit one application to the University of Maryland (through the Coalition Application). The Clark School of Engineering is a Limited Enrollment Program; therefore, students must meet our gateway requirements in order to be directly admitted into our program.

To learn more about our gateways, please review the information below.

A minimum grade point average of 3.0 in all courses taken at the University of Maryland and all other institutions is required for internal and external transfer students.

  • Completion of Calculus II (MATH 141) with minimum grade of B- or better;
  • Completion of Calculus-Based Physics I (PHYS 161) with a minimum grade of B- or better;
  • Completion of either Chemistry for Engineers (CHEM 135) or General Chemistry II (CHEM 271) with a minimum grade of C- or better;
    • Students may also complete CHEM 134 with a minimum grade of C- or better.  (Students who take CHEM 134 must also complete CHEM 131 with a C-).

Please note that the course numbers included above are specific to the University of Maryland. To identify these exact courses at your institution, you can use the Transfer Credit Database available online:

Limited Enrollment Programs guidelines:

  1. Only one gateway or performance review course may be repeated to earn the required grade and that course may only be repeated once. When more than one course can satisfy a gateway requirement, taking a second course from the list will count as a repeat. (Please note that a grade of "W" is considered an attempt and must be repeated).
  2. Currently UMD students may apply only once to an LEP. (Note: The external transfer student application will not count as an attempt.)
  3. Students must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.00 after admission to an LEP. Failure to do so will result in dismissal from the major.

COVID-19 Considerations for External Transfer Students 

COVID-19 impacted everyone during the Spring 2020 semester and beyond. Please be advised that the Clark School will accept passing (P) grades for any gateway course taken in Spring 2020. However, we understand that not all students have the option to earn passing (P) grades this term. For any student who has faced extenuating circumstances due to COVID-19, the Clark School encourages that they continue their pursuit of an engineering degree and continue to work towards our gateway admission requirements. Appeals will be considered on a case-by-case basis and special consideration will be granted to those students facing challenges due to the global pandemic.

We encourage students with questions or concerns to contact Shannon Hayes Buenaflor via email at

All external transfer students should submit an application to the University of Maryland by the early action deadline.

Fall Admission Spring Admission
Early Action Deadline: March 1 Early Action Deadline: August 1
Regular Deadline: June 1 Regular Deadline: November 15


Engineering students tend to have a strong background in science and mathematics. Continuous education in these fields is required for a successful future.  We recommend you start your path to a successful career by exploring all of the majors available to you.  Please begin by watching a virtual information session.  

The structure of each engineering program is unique, with courses being offered in a variety of sequences (some more lockstep than others).  In order to learn more about the requirements for the major you are applying for, please review the following departmental websites:

How will I be notified if I am accepted into the Clark School of Engineering? 

The Office of Undergraduate Admissions will contact you via email.  The Clark School does not have information on the admission status of applicants. 

What happens if I am not directly admitted into Engineering? 

  • If you are not directly admitted as an external applicant, you will either be given your second major choice or placed into the Division of Letters & Sciences.
    • ​Letters & Sciences (LTSC) is what UMD calls our "undecided" or "undeclared" students. Students in Letters & Sciences are advised by a LTSC advisor who is able to help guide them in the major selection process at UMD.
  • If you are an external applicant currently completing the gateway requirements (but will have them completed by the time you start at UMD), you can request the Office of Undergraduate Admissions to re-review your final transcript for engineering once your grades are in for the gateway requirements. In order to attend UMD, you must accept your offer of admission by the deadline given in your acceptance letter. 
  • If the gateway requirements are not complete prior to your start at UMD, external transfer students must complete at least one semester and then apply as an internal transfer applicant once all engineering admission requirements are satisfied. 

If admitted to Engineering, what do I do next? 

Once admitted, you are required to attend a transfer orientation session where you will learn about specific Clark School policies and procedures.  There, with the help of an academic advisor, you will review your prior coursework, select courses for the upcoming semester, and register for classes based on your major of choice.  
How long will it take to graduate after I transfer?
Your anticipated graduation date will depend on your major, your prior coursework, and your academic plan.  Some majors do not offer all of their courses every semester, so you will need to plan very carefully.  You can being this planning process by reviewing the following departmental websites: 

Students transferring from Maryland community colleges may be eligible to receive funding to help them catch up on coursework that they were unable to complete while enrolled at their community college.  For more information, please review the following application for our Summer Pathways Scholarship.

How will my credits transfer? 
The University of Maryland will accept a maximum of 60 credits from a community college and a maximum 90 credits from a four-year institution.  
*No more than 90 credits will be accepted towards a UMD degree.
If you wish to see how the courses at your current institution will transfer to UMD, please utilize UMD's Transfer Credit Database, which available at the Transfer Credit Services website:
What benefit will an Associate's Degree provide? 
In general, prospective engineering students are strongly encouraged to earn an associate's degree prior to transferring to UMD.  If a student earns an associate’s degree from a Maryland public institution and has completed a total of 40 general education credits, the student may be waived from the UMD General Education Program requirements.  
Courses in the Clark School of Engineering are not always taught every semester. Therefore, in an effort to support students transferring to UMD from Maryland community colleges, the Clark School is pleased to provide the Summer Pathways Scholarship (SPS) Program in order to support the cost of summer courses for those students who need to catch up on their major-required courses.
MD Community College transfer students in need of summer courses are eligible to receive reimbursement for the cost of tuition* to be used towards University of Maryland summer coursework based on the following conditions: 
1. Students must be admitted to the University of Maryland and the A. James Clark School of Engineering for a fall semester; 
2. Students must be transferring from a Maryland state community college; 
3. Students must be enrolled in one of the eligible courses (as outlined in the application); 
4. Students must earn the minimum passing grade in the course (C- or higher unless otherwise noted); 
5. Students must successfully matriculate and enroll in the University of Maryland in the Fall semester.
Please be advised that SPS is a reimbursement fund and that the scholarship is awarded after the conclusion of the Fall Schedule Adjustment Period.  Therefore, students must be able to pay for the course up front.
The Summer Pathways Scholarship (SPS) is a non-competitive application for students who need to take pre-identified courses in the A. James Clark School of Engineering.  Not all students may be eligible for the SPS funding.
For those students who are NOT eligible for SPS but who need support to take summer courses, the Clark School provides a secondary scholarship opportunity - the Summer Acceleration Scholarship (SAS).  The SAS application is competitive. For details regarding SAS, please contact
For best consideration, students should apply to both the Summer Pathways and Summer Acceleration Scholarship by May 17th. Please note that the Summer 2021 application will be made available by April 1, 2021.
*Note: Students paying out-of-state tuition are eligible to receive up to $2,000 per course