A minimum grade point average of 3.0 in all courses taken at the University of Maryland and all other institutions is required for internal and external transfer students.
- Completion of MATH 141 with minimum grade of B- or better.
- Completion of PHYS 161 with a minimum grade of B- or better.
- Completion of either CHEM 135 or CHEM 271 or CHEM 134 with a minimum grade of C- or better. (Students who take CHEM 134 must also complete CHEM 131 with a C-).
Limited Enrollment Programs guidelines:
- Only one gateway course may be repeated to earn the required grade and that course may only be repeated once. When more than one course can satisfy a gateway requirement, taking a second course from the list will count as a repeat. (Please note that a grade of "W" is considered an attempt and must be repeated).
- Students may apply only once to an LEP.
- Students must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.00 after admission to an LEP. Failure to do so will result in dismissal from the major.
Note: The Clark School of Engineering will accept a "P" passing grade for any gateway course completed during the Spring 2020 semester. More information about COVID-19 and Spring 2020 considerations can be found on the following webpage.
Current UMD students can access the LEP application on the Admissions website. The application deadline is always on the 5th business day of January and June each year.
|Spring 2021 Admission
||January 8, 2021
|Fall 2021 Admission
||June 7, 2021
Students submitting an application for fall are able to complete a gateway requirement course during the summer at either University of Maryland or another institution. In order to be considered, students must still meet the June application deadline
and courses must be taken during the University of Maryland’s Summer 1 Session. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com
Once you have submitted your application electronically and your application has been reviewed, the Office of Undergraduate Admissions will send you an admission decision via email instructing you of your next steps. Please be sure to keep an eye on your email!