We are pleased that so many companies are interested in our outstanding engineering students at the University of Maryland. But as such, our students often find themselves under a great deal of pressure to make an early decision about where to start their careers. And although we would never condone it, unfortunately we have seen a rise in students reneging on offers because they are forced to decide too quickly.
As a result, we ask that if students are offered a full time position in August or September, the year before they graduate, that they have until the end of October to make a decision so that they can participate in fall recruiting activities. If offers are made after September, we ask that employers give students 2-3 weeks to make a decision.
The same holds true for students being offered summer internships in August or September.
Companies/organizations recruiting employees are required to abide by the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) Principles for Ethical Professional Practice.
The Engineering Career Services Office reserves the right to deny or revoke services to any organization at any time. Common reasons for denying or revoking services include, but are not limited to:
- Misrepresentation or absence of information related to employment or internship positions, services or products offered, etc.
- Complaints by students, alumni, faculty, or staff.
In addition, employers are expected have:
- A functioning website that clearly relates to your organization and contains helpful information about your company for the potential applicant; website should not be in a pre-launch/beta phase nor contain "coming soon" language. Social media websites (LinkedIn, Facebook pages, blogs, Twitter feeds, etc.) should not take the place of a company website.
- An email address associated with your organization website domain (no Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc.), and individual contact names and email addresses should match.
- An address that is easily identifiable as a place of business. Addresses should not be a contact's personal residence.
Third-party recruiters are agencies, organizations, or individuals recruiting candidates for temporary, part-time, or full-time employment opportunities other than for their own needs.
- Job postings must be a specific position with a single company.
- The third party agency must include their third party status in the job posting and that any fees associated with the service will be paid by the employer and not the student.
- While we prefer that the name of the employer be disclosed in the job description, we understand that this is not always possible. However, if deemed necessary, the third party agency must be willing to disclose this information to a staff member in the Engineering Career Services Office.
- Third party agencies will not have access to search resume books.
- Services are not available to third party employers that are seeking to recruit candidates for foreign employment.
- The third party agency must not charge any fees to students. Employers cannot require a candidate to pay the organization for their own training.
In the event of inclement weather, our office will follow the University of Maryland’s emergency procedures. Please check the following sources for updates beginning at 5:30 a.m.
Campus Closure: If the University of Maryland is closed due to inclement weather, then all events, including information sessions and on campus interviews, will be cancelled. We will be in touch with you via e-mail to discuss the next steps. In the rare event of a campus closing, we will be happy to arrange an alternate date or plan for your interviewing needs.
Weather Delay: If the University announces a delayed opening, interview and events schedules will be adjusted as needed. Recruiters should communicate travel problems to the Engineering Career Services Office as soon as possible so that we may share updates with students.
Early Closure: If the university announces an early closure due to deteriorating weather conditions, all evening events will be cancelled. We will work with you to re-schedule for the next available date.