Participants in WIE emPower will gain hands-on experience using power tools and digital design and fabrication equipment (e.g. CAD, 3D printers, laser cutters, etc.) in various makerspaces at the University of Maryland as they create a take home project. After learning tool and equipment safety and rules of operation, participants will make a project that they will be able to take home with them at the end of the session. Undergraduate engineering students will serve as summer program interns and provide support, guidance, and encouragement to help provide participants an enriching experience.
- Enhance self-efficacy through building independence and confidence
- Strengthen teamwork skills
- Build enthusiasm in the possibility of pursuing a career in engineering
- Provide mentorship and role models to participants who are interested in STEM fields
We have reached capacity for the WIE emPower summer program. If you'd like to be placed on the WAITLIST, please submit the waitlist application at https://go.umd.edu/3SoLYYC.
Share about your interest in engineering and the WIE emPower program.
- Explain why you feel diversity, equity, and inclusion are important to the engineering community.
Upload a recent report card.
Submit an online STEM teacher recommendation form.