Before you accept an internship offer, see ISSS’s website on Curricular Practical Training (CPT) for information on eligibility, limitations, procedures and deadlines. Important notes:
- ISSS is only able to process CPT work authorization once per student per term (Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer).
- It is not possible to enroll in ENCO or request CPT work authorization for an internship that starts after mid-term grades have been posted.
- PhD students: If you have already completed your required coursework, you may not be eligible to enroll in ENCO099/098 for the academic component of your CPT.
Once you accept an internship offer, if ENCO099/098: Co-op/Intern Work Experience is the appropriate course for your academic component of CPT, there are a few steps you must follow before you can go to ISSS to request work authorization. Starting 7/1/2023, there is a new process for enrolling in ENCO.
- Request an employment offer letter on company letterhead from your internship supervisor. The letter must include ALL of the information indicated on the ISSS CPT Self-Checklist. See a sample offer letter for a student requesting CPT.
- Submit an Experience request on Handshake ("ENGR ENCO Approval for CPT"). Follow the directions outlined in this step-by-step document. Note: please allow 24 hours for review of paperwork before emailing our office.
- Once the Career Services advisor has given you the electronic permission stamp, you will be able to register for the 0 credit co-op class (ENCO099/ ENCO098). Further directions for applying for your updated I-20 with employment dates from ISSS will be provided within Handshake/email notifications.
If you have any questions, you may walk in during our regular hours or make an appointment with an advisor.
You may be eligible to work in your major field after you graduate under Optional Practical Training (OPT). See ISSS's website on OPT for eligibility and application requirements. You should plan to attend an OPT workshop sponsored by ISSS before your last semester of study at Maryland. While our office is not involved in the authorization of OPT, you are encouraged to use our services and attend relevant workshops as you prepare for your transition to full time work.
Work Visas, OPT & Green Cards: What You Should Know to Find a Job [WORKSHOP VIDEO] - Confused about options for staying and working in the United States after graduation? Worried about the H1B quota? The School of Engineering sponsored a seminar, presented by an experienced immigration attorney, discussing US work visa options and permanent resident green card options. The video link includes a detailed discussion of the H1B visa, pursuing permanent residence through employment, practical strategies for talking to employers about work visa issues during interviews, and much more.
International students seeking resources on H1B employment should pay special attention to H1B Plus, GoinGlobal’s job board specifically for H1B employers. H1B Plus (Job Board for GoinGlobal's custom-designed H-1B Plus database) provides U.S. Department of Labor records for more than two million companies that have applied for H-1B visas from 2009 to-date. You can search for records by industry, occupation, job title, company name, job location, fiscal year, or wage. Information is updated quarterly as new Department of Labor visa application records are released.