For current engineering majors only wishing to change to another engineering major within the A. James Clark School of Engineering, visit this link to the TerpEngage Portal to begin this process, and select the ENGR Major Change Request link. Be sure to complete the appropriate form according to your status.

If you plan to change out of the Engineering School, contact the new corresponding college/department for assistance.

If you are currently pursuing a double degree or double major, in addition to submitting the request in TerpEngage, you will also need to fill out the double degree/double major paperwork for your new major.

For current engineering majors wishing to add a double major or double degree to their record, visit this link to the TerpEngage Portal to begin this process, and select "Additional Major" from the drop down menu.  After selecting "Additional Major" students will be guided to the Double Major/Double Degree form that needs to be completed.

Before deciding to pursue a Double Major or Double Degree it is important to contact the advisor in your primary major.  Take a few minutes to review the Double Major/Double Degree Form attached below.  Be sure to read the second page of form carefully to understand the guidelines as well as the difference between a double major and a double degree. The second page of the form also outlines the signatures that you will need to receive and the printing instructions for the form.  

Engineering Double Major/Double Degree Form 

Note, if engineering is your primary major, Engineering Academic Services (EAS) will be the final signature you will receive.  This is with the exception of double majors/degrees under the College Computer, Mathematical and Natural Sciences (CMNS).  Please see below for detailed steps:

CMNS Double Major/Double Degree Form

Steps to add a CMNS Secondary Major/Degree Computer Science Math, Physics, Astronomy, Atmosheric & Oceanic Science, Geology All other CMNS Majors
1 Receive Engineering Advisor signature on both forms (ENGR & CMNS) Receive both Engineering and CMNS Advisor signatures on both forms (ENGR & CMNS) Receive both Engineering and CMNS Advisor signatures on both forms (ENGR & CMNS)
2 Upload both forms to CMNS ELMS page to get CMNS Advisor signature  Send both forms to for Clark School College/Deans signature

Option 1:  Receive Clark School College/Deans signature first if adding CMNS major

Option 2:  Receive CMNS College/Deans signature first if adding ENGR major

3 CMNS will send both forms to EAS for Clark School College/Deans signature Upload both forms to TerpEnage for CMNS College/Deans signature and final sign off Receive final College/Deans signature based on which College/Deans signature was received in step 2
4 Clark School will send forms to CMNS for College/Deans signature and final sign off    


The Clark School of Engineering takes requests for exceptions to policy extremely seriously. We will consider exceptions to academic policy only in "rare and extraordinary circumstances." Requests are not guaranteed and considered on a case-by-case basis.

Exceptions to Policy submissions are typically reviewed on Tuesdays and Thursdays during a regular semester and once a week during the summer and the winter terms. An Exception to Policy request can take between 3-10 business days to be processed, since it takes time to arrive at a fair decision; therefore, do not assume your request will be granted. It is your responsibility as the student to take whatever actions are necessary in the event your request in not approved.

Be sure to select the exception option that best describes your situation. Depending on your request, the form will ask you to complete and submit information necessary to review your petition.

You will be notified via email when your request has been completed.

Applying for Graduation
Submit Graduation Application form no later than the last day of schedule adjustment of the semester in which you plan to graduate.

Request to Walk in Engineering Commencement Ceremony for UNDERGRADUATE students

For information on the eligibility to participate in the Spring Commencement Ceremony, read the PDF iconUniversity's policy

This form is ONLY for students who will complete their degree requirements during the summer, but who wish to participate in the spring commencement ceremony.

  • To participate in the Spring Commencement Ceremony, students must be registered to complete your final 7 credits or less during the following summer term. Though student may be permitted to participate in the spring commencement ceremony, the students will officially be a summer graduate.

For permission to participate in the commencement ceremony preceding the semester in which students will graduate, please complete the Request to Walk in Engr. Commencement Ceremony [online form will be available in April for Spring graduation]. Be sure to complete the graduation application on TESTUDO, for the semester in which you will be completing all degree requirements and register for classes required. Be sure to submit the “Request to Walk in Engineering Commencement” form at least (2) two weeks prior to commencement to allow processing time.

Participating in the Engineering graduation ceremony does not guarantee graduation from the University. Students are responsible for following the graduation application procedures during the semester in which students will graduate. Visit the Graduation Timeline page for more information about the graduation process.

Additional information about graduation ceremonies can be found at the Commencement page.

Graduation Confirmation Letter Request
The Graduation Confirmation Letter Request can only be processed upon successful completion of all remaining courses and meeting all University requirements. This form is for Undergraduate Students Only. If you are a Graduate Student, please contact your department.

International Students
The University does not issue invitation letters for guests to visit the USA to attend commencement ceremonies. These letters are not required by the embassy to issue a B2 visa. The graduating student should submit a copy of their I-20 or DS-2019 to the relative applying for the tourist visa. You can also send an Enrollment Verification Certificate along with the copy of your passport.

The B2 visa is designated for tourist activities, such as sightseeing, visiting friends and relatives, obtaining medical treatment, etc. No invitation letter is needed if the purpose of the activity is to sightsee and visit in the United States.

All current University of Maryland students wishing to take a course off campus must submit a Permission to Enroll (PTE) form and have it approved by the A. James Clark School of Engineering PRIOR to registering for courses at another institution.

Requirements to take courses at another institution:

  1. Students must have a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA.
  2. Students must meet all UMD prerequisites for the course as well as the prerequisites outlined by the other institution.
  3. Students cannot be registered for a credit overload:
    • No more than 18 credits in the fall and spring semesters
    • No more than 8 credits for each summer session
    • No more than 4 credits during winter
  1. View transfer course equivalencies for UMD courses at Transfer Credit Services.
  2. Read the Student User Guide [pdf]   before completing the Permission to Enroll in Another Institution Form [online form for student's use only, advisors will not be able to open the PTE form].
    • When completing the form, make sure to type the other institution’s course prefix and the course number (e.g. MATH274-Towson University.)

Students will NOT be allowed to take courses at another institution if the following applies:

  1. If a student needs to repeat a course. (Students in the A. James Clark School of Engineering are required to repeat coursework at UMD. The only exception that the Clark School will make to the repeat policy is for students who earned a "W" in the course.)
  2. GPA under 2.0
  3. Students that are within their last 30 UMD credits.  (Students within the last 30 UMD credits that have extenuating circumstances may submit an Exception to Policy Form: Permission to Enroll Form with a detailed explanation of why they need to take a course at another institution. Once the Exception to Policy Committee reviews the form, the student will be informed of the next step.
  4. Transfer Students with more than 60/70* credits from a two-year institution or more than 90 credits from a four-year institution are not able to take additional courses at another institution unless some of the credits do not count towards their engineering degree. *Sixty (60) community college credits prior to fall 2022 or Seventy (70) community college credits after fall 2022.

Timeline for submission of PTE form
Permission to Enroll forms are not reviewed until the beginning of March for Summer or Fall and the beginning of October for Winter and Spring for advisors to see mid-semester grades and student's' progress in courses.

Processing time for Permission to Enroll forms

During peak times, it will take between 3-10 business days for our office to process PTE forms.

Decision Notification via Email
Student will receive an email notification from once the form has been processed. Open the form by clicking the link in the email and then click the ID number on the column to the left for more details about the outcome of your request under “Note”.

Steps to complete after finishing a course at another institution
Once the course has been completed, request that the institution send an official transcript to the University of Maryland Office of the Registrar
Be sure to check your UMD unofficial transcript (available on Testudo) to make sure the course and the credits have been posted correctly to your transcript.

First semester students requesting PTE form for Winter
All first semester freshmen and transfer students requesting a PTE to take courses during winter term are required to provide a copy of their grades from all currently registered courses. Students can submit grades from CANVAS and upload it to the PTE form. PTE forms without a copy of grades from CANVAS will be automatically denied.
Dual Enrollment
All first semester UMD students requesting to take courses at another institution are required to first submit an Exception to Policy Form: Permission to Enroll with an explanation of why they will be enroll at two different institutions during the same semester.

With the approval of the Department and completion of program requirements, an undergraduate degree-seeking student can request to join the combined bachelor's/master's (BS/MS) program. In the BS/MS program, graduate level courses initially taken for undergraduate credit may also be applied towards the graduate credit requirements for a master's degree program at the University of Maryland. Return form to 1131 Martin Hall.

An undergraduate degree-seeking student with approval can apply to take a course for graduate credit only.

Steps to follow when completing form:

  1. Top part to be completed by student.
  2. Department Certification- to be signed by student's major Department.
  3. College Certification- to be approved by the School of Engineering (1131S GLMH.)
  4. Graduate School Review- to the Graduate School for approval (2133 Lee Bldg.)

Complete this form if you wish to take a graduate level course and have it count for undergraduate credit.

Steps to follow when completing form:

  1. Top part to be completed by students.
  2. Departmental Academic Advisor should sign to give permission and denote what the course will count for in the degree.
  3. Professor of Grad-level course should sign to give permission to 1131S GLMH Engineering Academic Services.