You will certainly have questions along the way. Many of your questions may be answered here. If not, be sure to email or visit the Study Abroad Contacts page.

A Clark engineering student on study abroad enjoying local foods.Steps for a Smooth Application Process

Applying to study abroad is a fairly easy process, but it does involve planning ahead and being organized. The Office of Global Engineering Leadership located in 1131 Martin Hall will assist you throughout the process. All engineering students need to meet with an advisor in the Office of Office of Global Engineering Leadership if interested in studying abroad in any semester or year-long program.

  1. Explore engineering abroad programs.
  2. Review your 4-year plan and plan ahead for studying abroad.
  3. Meet with an advisor in the Office of Global Engineering leadership located in 1131 Glenn L. Martin Hall.
  4. Generate a list of possible course options you are interested in taking at the host institution. Visit the Study Abroad Course Database website to see if courses have previously been approved. Collect syllabi for courses you’re interested in taking and complete course evaluation request forms (using either the ENGR course evaluation request form or non-ENGR course evaluation request form) to have the course reviewed for transfer credit.
  5. Once you have found a good match, apply via MyEA before the deadline (appx. October 1 for winter and spring programs and March 1 for summer and fall programs). All deadlines are located on the MyEA website for the specific program.
  6. Apply for scholarships through the Education Abroad office and possible outside scholarships.
  7. Apply for a passport, and if accepted to the program you will often be required to apply for a student visa and/or residency permit.
  8. Once accepted, follow the online checklist in MyEA specific to your program.

No, most programs offer coursework in English. Even in countries where English is not the first language, coursework is offered in English and an optional “survival course” in the native language will likely be offered before the start of the semester. The MyEA application should indicate the language of instruction.

For most programs (including all exchange programs) the minimum GPA requirement is 3.0. In some special cases students with a GPA slightly below 3.0 will be considered. There are a limited number of programs with a GPA requirement below 3.0.

You should apply for a VISA as soon as you are accepted and have received all necessary documentation to complete the application. It is a good idea to apply for a passport as soon as you decide to study abroad. Typically a passport can be processed in 4-6 weeks. For an additional fee and effort this process can be expedited. Please visit the U.S. Passport website for additional details.

  • How long are you looking to study abroad for?
  • What region do you prefer?
  • What are your financial considerations?
  • What special considerations for study abroad are associated with your major?

Ideally, no. With proper research and planning students should be able to maintain their four year plan. By moving courses around between semesters and planning ahead most students are able to stay on track without very much difficulty.

Credit transfer depends on the type of program. Students will get all of their courses (and corresponding credits) approved to transfer back before they leave by UMD faculty. Typically courses will transfer credits back on a pass fail basis. 

There are many short term programs available during summer term and winter term. Please visit Maryland Short-term Programs to explore your options.

Become familiar with the types or programs, attend an upcoming information session, meet with a engineering study abroad advisor and begin to research programs that you are interested in.

In most cases, yes. In addition to this many scholarships are available to help students fund study abroad. Students will have an opportunity to apply to some of these scholarships while completing their MyEA application. All students are encouraged to actively seek out all scholarship opportunities available to them.

When you arrive back in the USA, it is important you consider the following:

  1. University of Maryland needs to receive your transcript from your abroad institution.  All transcripts for engineering students should be sent to the following:

Office of Global Engineering Leadership
1131 Glenn L. Martin Hall
4298 Campus Drive
College Park, MD 20742

  1. Review Uachieve to ensure credits for your courses abroad have posted properly.  It typically takes one month from when we receive your transcript for credits to post to Uachieve.
  2. Consider many of the wonderful volunteer opportunities in the Office of Global Engineering Leadership to join us in our efforts to increase the number of engineering students studying abroad!

Serve as a panelist at an engineering study abroad info session!

Join PANGEA- a network of past engineering study abroad students committed to promoting study abroad to their peers and supporting exchange students studying at Maryland!

Write a profile entry for the Office of Global Engineering Leadership website!

Email with your interests in these opportunities.