Wilson Elkins Professor (2013-2015)
- Sc. B, Brown University, 1971.
- M. S. The Johns Hoplins University, 1973.
- Ph.D., Johns Hopkins University, 1979
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Fellow, American Physical Society, 1999.
- Poole and Kent Teaching Award for Senior Faculty of the College of Engineering, University of Maryland 2003.
- Distinguished Scholar Teacher University of Maryland 2004.
- Wilson H. Elkins Professorship, University System of Maryland, 2013-2015.
- Keystone Professor, College of Engineering, University of Maryland, 2007 - present.
- Michael A. Sadowsky Lecture in Mechanics, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, April, 1999.
- Peachman Lecturer, Department of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, University of Michigan, February 2011.
- Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Associate Editor 2010-2017
American Physical Society, Division of Fluid Dynamics:
- Secretary-Treasurer 2003-2006
- Coordinator of the Gallery of Fluid Motion 2001-2012
- Chair of the Annual Meeting Press Relations Committee 2008-2012
- Member-at-Large of the Executive Committee 2010-2013
- Chairmanship Track of the Executive Committee 2012-2016
Experimental and theoretical/numerical investigations of fluid flows: breaking water waves, cavitation and explosion bubbles interacting with compliant boundaries, turbulent boundary layers flows interacting with compliant walls and free surfaces, and fluid-structure interactions.
- ENME 331, Fundamental of Fluid Mechanics
- ENES 221, Dynamics
- ENME 640, Introduction to Fluid Mechanics
- ENME 642, Hydrodynamics
The impact of a deep-water plunging breaker on a wall with its bottom edge close to the mean water surface, A. Wang, C. M.Ikeda, J.H.Duncan, D.,P. Lathrop, M. J. Cooker and A. M. Fullerton, J. Fluid Mech., Vol. 843, pp. 680-721, doi:10.1017/jfm.2018.109, 2018.
- A model of radar backscatter of rain-generated stalks on the ocean surface, X. Liu, Q. Zheng, R. Liu, M. Sletten and J. H. Duncan, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 55, Issue 2, pp. 767-776, DOI: 10.1109/TGRS.2016.2614897, 2017.
- The Generation of Gravity-Capillary Solitary Waves by a Pressure Source Moving at a Trans-critical Speed, M. Masnadi and J. H. Duncan, J. Fluid Mech., Vol. 810, pp. 448-474, DOI: 10.1017/jfm.2016.658, 2017.
- Observations of Gravity-Capillary Lump Interactions, N. Masnadi, and J. H. Duncan, J. Fluid Mech., Vol. 814, DOI: 10.1017/jfm.2017.50, 2017.
- A study of radar backscattering from water surface in response to rainfall, X. Liu, Q. Zheng, R. Liu, D. Wang, J. H. Duncan and S. J. Huang, J. Geophys. Res. - Oceans, Vol. 121, Issue 3, pp.\ 1546-1562, DOI: 10.1002/2015JC010975, 2016.
- The pressure field of Imploding lightbulbs, M. Czechanowski, C. Ikeda and J. H. Duncan, Experiments in Fluids, Vol. 56, Issue 3, DOI: 10.1007/s00348-015-1913-y, 2015.
- C. M. Ikeda, J. Wilkerling and J. H. Duncan, “The Implosion of Cylindrical Shell Structures in a High-Pressure Water Environment”, Proc. Roy. Soc. Lond. Series A, Vol. 469, 20130443, 2013
- Kiger, K. T.; Duncan, J. H., “Air-Entrainment Mechanisms in Plunging Jets and Breaking Waves”, Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 44, pp. 563-596, 2012.
- Maxeiner, E., Shakeri, M., Duncan, J. H., "A Parametric Study of Breaking Bow Waves using a 2D+T Technique”, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 687, pp. 540-570, 2011.
- Gomez-Ledesma, R., Kiger, K. T., Duncan, J. H. “The Impact of a Translating Plunging Jet on a Pool of the Same Liquid”, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 680 pp. 5-30, 2011.
- Diorio, J. D., Cho, Y., Duncan, J. H. and Akylas, T., “Resonantly Forced Gravity-Capillary Lumps on Deep Water. Part 1. Experiments”, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 672, pp. 268-287, 2011.
- Cho, Y., Diorio, J. D., Akylas, T., and Duncan, J. H. “Resonantly Forced Gravity-Capillary Lumps on Deep Water. Part 2. Theoretical Model”, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 672, pp. 288-306, 2011.
- J. D. Diorio, Y. Cho, J. H. Duncan, and T. R. Akylas, "Resonantly forced gravity--capillary lumps on deep water. Part 1. Experiments," Journal of Fluid Mechanics, November, 2010.
- Y. Cho, J. D. Diorio, T. R. Akylas, and J. H. Duncan, "Resonantly forced gravity--capillary lumps on deep water. Part 2. Theory," Journal of Fluid Mechanics,November, 2010.
- Diorio, J. D., Cho, Y., Duncan, J. H. and Akylas, T., “Gravity-Capillary Lumps Generated by a Moving Pressure Source, Physical Review Letters, Vol. 201, Issue 21, Article Number: 214502, 2009.
- J. Diorio, X. Liu and J. H. Duncan, "An Experimental Investigation of Incipient Spilling Breaking," Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 633, pp. 271-283, 2009.
- Shakeri, M., Tavakolinejad, M., and Duncan, J. H., “An Experimental Investigation of Divergent Bow Waves Simulated by a Two-Dimensional plus Time Technique”, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 634, pp. 217-243, 2009.
- Shakeri, M., Maxeiner, E.; Fu, T. and Duncan, J. H., “An Experimental Examination of the 2D+T Approximation”, Journal of Ship Research, Vol. 53, Issue 2, pp. 59-67, 2009.