Ph.D., Moscow State University, 1969
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Yeram S. Touloukian Award of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- The University System of Maryland's Board of Regents' Faculty Award
- Poole and Kent Senior Teaching Award, UMD College Park
- Foundation for Science and Technology International Award, Japan
- Member of the Russian Academy of Engineering
- Member of the Russian Academy of Natural Sciences
- Fellow, AIChE
- Fellow, APS
- Fellow, AAAS
- Fellow, International Academy of Refrigeration
Mesoscopic and nanoscale thermodynamics, critical phenomena, and phase transitions in soft matter.
We have demonstrated that a theoretical model based on the presumed existence of a liquid–liquid critical point (LLCP) in water in the deeply supercooled region is capable of representing, accurately and consistently, all available experimental thermodynamic property data for supercooled ordinary and heavy water.
Self-Assembly of Small Molecules in Aqueous Solutions
By using experimental techniques such as static and dynamic light scattering and optical confocal microscopy, we are investigating the nature of mesoscopic heterogeneities of certain aqueous solution.
Study of "Smooth" Interfaces
We are also studying the effect of fluctuations on the behavior of smooth (or "fuzzy") interfaces. The examples include near-critical vapor-liquid and liquid-liquid interfaces in simple and complex fluids, interfaces in polymer solutions and polymer blends, liquid membranes and vesicles. A broader impact of this research includes filtration through microporous media in oil recovery, microfluidics, nanoscale liquid bridges, and nucleation phenomena: wherever science and technology deal with fluid droplets at submicron and nano scales.
- Mikhail A. Anisimov, Michal Duška, Frédéric Caupin, Lauren E. Amrhein, Amanda Rosenbaum, and Richard J. Sadus, "Thermodynamics of Fluid Polyamorphism.” Physical Review X 8, 011004 (2018). DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevX.8.011004
- Xiong Zheng, Mikhail A. Anisimov, J . V . Sengers, and Maogang He, "Mesoscopic Diffusion of Polyethylene Oxide in Pure and Mixed Solvents", J. Phys.Chem. B DOI: 10.1021/acs.jpcb.7b10420 (November 13, 2017).
- Andrei A. Novikov, Anton P. Semenov, Viviana Monje-Galvan, Vladimir N. Kuryakov, Jeffery B. Klauda, and Mikhail A. Anisimov, "Dual Action of Hydrotropes at the Water/Oil Interface J. Phys. Chem. C, 121, 16423−16431 (2017).
- John W. Biddle, Rakesh S. Singh, Evan M. Sparano, Francesco Ricci, Miguel A. Gonzalez, Chantal Valeriani, Jose L. F. Abascal, Pablo G. Debenedetti, Mikhail A. Anisimov, and Frederic Caupin, “Two-structure thermodynamics for the TIP4P/2005 model of water covering supercooled and deeply stretched regions” J. Chem. Phys. 146, 034502 (2017).
- Paola Gallo, Katrin Amann-Winkel, Charles Austen Angell, Mikhail Alexeevich Anisimov, Frederic Caupin, Charusita Chakravarty, Erik Lascaris, Thomas Loerting, Athanassios Zois Panagiotopoulos, John Russo, Jonas Alexander Sellberg, Harry Eugene Stanley, Hajime Tanaka, Carlos Vega, Limei Xu, and Lars Gunnar Moody Pettersson, “Water: A Tale of Two Liquids”, Chemical Reviews 116 , 7463-7500 (2016 ).
- A. E Robertson, D.H. Phan, J. E Macaluso, V. N., Kuryakov, E. V Jouravleva, C. E. Bertrand, I. K. Yudin, and M. A. Anisimov, “Mesoscale solubilization and critical phenomena in binary and quasi binary solutions of hydrotropes”, Fluid Phase Equilibria, 407, 243-254 (2016).
- Rakesh S. Singh, John W. Biddle, Pablo G. Debenedetti, and Mikhail A. Anisimov, “Two-State Thermodynamics and the Possibility of a Liquid-Liquid Phase Transition in Supercooled TIP4P/2005”, J. Chem. Phys., 144,144504 (2016).
- V. Holten, C. E. Bertrand, M. A. Anisimov, and J. V. Sengers, "Thermodynamics of supercooled water", J. Chem. Phys. 136, 094507 (2012).
- C. E. Bertrand, J. F. Nicoll, and M. A. Anisimov, "Comparison of Complete Scaling and a Field-Theoretical Treatment of Asymmetric Fluid Criticality", Phys. Rev. E 85, 031131 (2012).
- M. A. Anisimov, "Fifty years of breakthrough discoveries in fluid criticality", Int. J. Thermophys. 32, 2001–2009 (2011).
- D. Bedeaux, J.M. Ortiz de Zárate, I. Pagonabarraga, J.V. Sengers, and S. Kjelstrup, "Concentration fluctuations in non-isothermal reaction-diffusion systems II: The nonlinear case", J. Chem. Phys. 135, 124516 (2011).
- J.M. Ortiz de Zárate and J.V. Sengers, "Hydrodynamic fluctuations in laminar fluid flow. I. Fluctuating Orr-Sommerfeld equation", J. Stat. Phys. 144,774-792 (2011).
- D. Subramanian and M. A. Anisimov, "Resolving the mystery of aqueous solutions of tertiary butyl alcohol", J. Phys. Chem. B 115, 9179-9183 (2011)
- J.M. Ortiz de Zárate, D. Bedeaux, I. Pagonabarraga, J.V. Sengers, and S. Kjelstrup, "Nonisothermal diffusion-reaction with nonlinear Kramers kinetics", Comptes Rendus Mecanique 339, 287-291 (2011)
- C. E. Bertrand and M. A. Anisimov, "Interfacial entropy profile in the one-loop approximation", Ukrainian Journal of Physics (invited paper) 56, 779-783, 2011.
- C. E. Bertrand, J. V. Sengers, and M. A. Anisimov, "Critical behavior of the dielectric constant in asymmetric fluids", J. Phys. Chem. B 115, 14000–14007 (2011).
- C. E. Bertrand, and M. A. Anisimov, "The peculiar thermodynamics of the second critical point in supercooled water", J. Phys. Chem. B 115, 14099–14111 (2011).
- D. Subramanian, D. A. Ivanov, I. K. Yudin, M. A. Anisimov, and Jan V. Sengers, "Mesoscale inhomogeneities in aqueous solutions of 3-Methylpyridine and tertiary Butyl Alcohol", J. Chem. Eng. Data 56, 1238–1248 (2011).
- C. E. Bertrand and M. A. Anisimov, "Complete scaling for inhomogeneous fluids", Phys. Rev. Lett. 104, 205702 (2010)
- K. L. Linegar, A. E. Adeniran, A. F. Kostko, and M. A. Anisimov, "Hydrodynamic radius of polyethylene glycol in solution obtained by dynamic light scattering", Colloid Journal 72, 279-281 (2010)
- J.V. Sengers and J.M. Ortiz de Zárate, "Velocity fluctuations in laminar fluid flow", J. Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics 165, pp. 925-931 (2010)
- G. Pérez-Sánchez, P. Losada-Pérez,C.A. Cerdeiriña, J.V. Sengers, and M.A. Anisimov, "Asymmetric criticality in weakly compressible liquid mixtures", J. Chem. Phys. 132, 154502 (2010).
- D. Bedeaux,I. Pagonabarraga, J.M. Ortiz de Zárate, J.V. Sengers, and S. Kjelstrup, "Mesoscopic non-equilibrium thermodynamics of non-isothermal reaction-diffusion", Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 12, pp. 12780-12793 (2010).
- Kh.S. Abdulkadirova, C.J. Peters, J.V. Sengers, and M.A. Anisimov, "An isomorphic Peng-Robinson equation for phase-equilibria properties of hydrocarbon mixtures in the critical region", J. Supercritical Fluids 55, pp. 594-602 (2010).
- Please visit Professor Anisimov's publications page for downloadable versions of these selected publications at www.mesothermal.umd.edu/publications.html