The goal of ClarkLEAD is to foster an engineering community that is united, thoughtful, safe, inclusive, accountable, empowered, and open to growth in order to Mpact society. On the day before the fall semester begins, new first-year and transfer students will gather to participate in large- and small-group activities with these learning objectives:
- Begin to develop a sense of connectedness to their peers and the Clark School community.
- Identify strategies to facilitate respectful and inclusive learning environments.
- Learn to articulate and capitalize on individual strengths and productively apply them in team settings.
ClarkLEADERS have an important role in shaping the Maryland Engineering community. You will have the chance to:
- Introduce new students to Maryland Engineering by sharing your experiences.
- Guide them through interactive activities and discussions about identity, teamwork and collaboration, and applying strengths.
- Receive training (online and face-to-face) from ClarkLEAD staff on the topics to be covered and strategies for facilitating group activities.
- Build skills you can then use to succeed in your classes, work place, and community.
- Meet Maryland Engineering alumni and hear their experiences post graduation
May: ClarkLEADER kick-off social! An opportunity to meet fellow ClarkLEADERS who will be joining you in welcoming the new cohort of Maryland Engineering students in August. This will be a casual event to get to know the ClarkLEAD team, decompress before finals, and get a sneak peek into what ClarkLEAD 2023 will entail!
July-August: Complete online training to include topics on leadership, identity, inclusive teams, and facilitation skills. (~3 hours)
August 24 -OR- August 26: Attend a 3 hour run through/training day on either date (attend one). This is required for new and returning ClarkLEADERS.
- August 24, 4:00 - 7:00pm -OR-
- August 26, 11:00 - 2:00 pm
August 25 -OR- August 27: Volunteer at ClarkLEAD on Sunday, August 27 -OR- the inaugural ClarkLEAD Transfer Welcome on Friday, August 25. Priority will be given to transfer students to volunteer during the ClarkLEAD Transfer Welcome.
Employers seek new hires with some of these skills that you will practice both during ClarkLEADER training and on the day of the event.
- Critical Thinking/Problem Solving
- Oral/Written Communication
- Global/Intercultural Fluency
- Professionalism/Work Ethic
- Digital Technology
- Career Management