As we develop programs for the Clark School community, we encourage you to learn about the values and principles that guide us:
- Our interactions with each other will be mostly virtual. This means that students living both on and off campus will be able to meet other Terps and participate in student programming.
- The University and the Clark School will have limited in-person meeting options for students who will be living on campus. Details about the Fall 2020 Reopening Plan can be found at https://umd.edu/4Maryland.
- We are learning from our collective experiences in the spring and from the latest academic research on teaching to bring you an immersive learning and community building experience.
- We will approach our current situation, as it continues to evolve, as an opportunity for exploring and examining ways to improve learning and program design during a pandemic.
- You are the foundation of the Clark School - the most significant and important aspect. Your mental health, academic growth, well-being, and relationships with others is our main focus now and throughout your educational journey at UMD.
To kickstart the semester, we have a number of opportunities for you to engage with Clark School students, faculty, and staff.
Fall Transfer Welcome (August 24 - August 28)
This year, the Clark School of Engineering is hosting a Fall Transfer Welcome Week for all newly admitted external and internal transfer students. The week includes a combination of live Zoom sessions, videos, and online discussions. Throughout the week, students will have the opportunity to meet other Terps, form groups, and learn more about Clark School resources.
ClarkWELCOME (Sunday, August 30, 1pm-2:15pm)
Dean Robert Briber looks forward to welcoming you to the Clark School during a 75-minute virtual event to help connect you to our community and meet students from your major. The program begins with remarks from the Dean of the Clark School. The event will also feature student stories, live small group breakout sessions led by current students, and closing words from a recent Clark School alumna.
EngineeringFIRSTLOOKFAIR (Thursday, September 10, 3pm-5pm)
Join us in September for a virtual information fair! This event will include student organizations, academic departments, and student services offices - all staffing Zoom Rooms to showcase what they have to offer to all Clark School students.
While you engage in college-wide events, we also encourage you to connect with us throughout the semester by participating in ClarkCOMMUNITIES.
ClarkCOMMUNITIES, which will meet weekly from September - November, is a fun opportunity for you to connect in small groups, make new friends, and engage in dialogue with your peers. Each conversation will be framed around various themes, such as Getting Involved and Leadership. Groups will be supported by ClarkLEADERS—upper-class students who will facilitate these sessions. The goal of these conversations is to support you in developing community with your fellow students, learn from the experiences of our ClarkLEADERS, and explore topics that are of interest to you, our new students.
The University of Maryland has a number of websites and resources that can help you prepare for your first semester! Here are a handful to help you get started:
- Academic Support Resources
- Health & Wellness
- Student Life
- Tips for Using Zoom