Magrab, Dr. Edward B.
- Ph.D. (Solid Mechanics), Catholic University of America, Washington DC, 1966
- M.A.E., New York University, New York, NY, 1961
- B.M.E., City College of New York, NY, 1960
- Professional Engineer (State of Maryland)
Prior to joining the University of Maryland in 1987, Dr. Magrab held supervisory positions in the Center for Manufacturing Engineering at the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), which included head of the Robot Metrology Group, Manager of the vertical machining work station in the Automated Manufacturing Research Facility, and Chief of the Sound Section. He went to NIST after being a professor for almost a decade in the Department of Mechanics at the Catholic University of America in Washington DC. At the University of Maryland, he had numerous industrial-sponsored contracts involving many aspects of product development. His redesign of a commercial pneumatic vacuum cleaner with improved performance and ease of manufacture was a commercial success. It also won the Award of Excellence from the Maryland Industrial Partnership Program.
HONORS AND AWARDS
Life Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- E. B. Magrab, An Engineer’s Guide to Mathematica, John Wiley and Sons, Chichester, UK (2014).
- E. B. Magrab, Vibrations of Elastic Systems: with Application to MEMS and NEMS, Solid Mechanics and Its Applications 184, Springer Science+Business Media B.V., New York (2012).
- E. B. Magrab, S. Azarm, B. Balachandran, J. H. Duncan, K. E. Herold, G. C. Walsh, An Engineer's Guide to MATLAB, 3rd ed., Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, (2010, 2005; 2000).
- E. B. Magrab, S. K. Gupta, F. P. McCluskey, P. A. Sandborn, Integrated Product and Process Design and Development, 2nd ed., CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, (2010, 1997 edition by E. B. Magrab).
- E. B. Balachandran and E. B. Magrab, Vibrations, 2nd ed., Cengage Learning, Toronto, ON, Canada (2009, 2003).