2104B Glenn L. Martin Hall, Building 088
- Ph.D., Carnegie Mellon University, 1995
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Merryfield Design Award, American Society for Engineering Education, 2008
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Member, American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE)
- Member, Society of Manufacturing Engineering (SME)
- Member, The Design Society (DS)
- Member, Product Development and Management Association (PDMA)
System and product design theory and methodology Developing designer assistance tools for system and product design Engineering student team training Preservation of proprietary design knowledge conceptual design processes
- Dumas, D., L.C. Schmidt, and P. Alexander, (2016) Predicting Creative Problem Solving in Engineering Design, Thinking Skills and Creativity. Vol. 21, pp. 50–66.
- Born, W. and L.C. Schmidt, “An Observational Study on Functional Behavior in Team Design,” Proc. of the ASME 2016 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference, IDETC2016-60129, August 21-24, 2016, Charlotte, North Carolina.
- Dumas, D. and L.C. Schmidt, “Relational Reasoning as Predictor for Engineering Ideation Success Using TRIZ,” Journal of Engineering Design, Vol 26, No. 1-3, pp. 74-88, 2015.
- Lascano. S.K., J. Nuñez, I.E. Esparragoza, L.C. Schmidt, and R.L. *Nagel, Invited paper, “Teaching Students to Appreciate the Global Challenges of Sustainability,” IEEE-RITA: Latin American Learning Technology Journal, 2015
- Nagel, J., L.C. Schmidt, and W. Born, “Fostering Diverse Analogical Transfer in Bio-Inspired Design,” Proc. of the ASME 2015 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences & Computers and Information in Engineering Conference IDETC/CIE 2015, DETC2015-47922, Boston, Massachusetts, August 2-5, 2015.
- Fornasini, G. and L.C. Schmidt, “A Call for FDM Design Rules to Include Road Deposition,” 20th International Conference on Engineering Design (ICED15), Milan, Italy, July 27-30, 2015.
Westmoreland, S. and L.C. Schmidt, “Revealing Insights from Professional Design Documentation,” Proc. of the ASME 2014 International Design Engineering TechnicalConferences & Computers and Information in Engineering Conference IDETC/CIE 2014, August 17-20, 2014. Buffalo, New York,
- Vargas-Hernandez, N., L.C. *Schmidt, G.E. *Odukan Kremer, “Systematic Ideation Effectiveness Study,” Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol. 135, No. 10, pp. 101009, 2013.
- Schmidt, L.C., N., Vargas Hernandez, and A.L. Grenier Ruocco, “Research on encouraging sketching in engineering design,” Artificial Intelligence for Engineering Design, Analysis and Manufacturing: AI EDAM, Vol. 26, No. 3, pp 303-315, 2012.