- Ph.D., 2004, University of Maryland (Aerospace Engineering)
- B. Tech, 1998, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur (Aerospace Engineering)
Datta and his research group study the aeromechanics of advanced vertical lift aircraft. The major areas of research are: electric-VTOL (eVTOL), high-speed tiltrotors, scalable-3D structures, and Mars helicopters. Before joining Maryland, Datta was at the U.S. Army Aviation Development Directorate at NASA Ames Research Center for 9 years. At Ames, he worked on the full-scale wind-tunnel testing of the UH-60A Black Hawk rotor, development of a scalable-3D aeroelastic solver - X3D, design of eVTOL aircraft, and aeromechanics of the JPL Mars Helicopter (Ingenuity). During 2008-2013, he served as the structural dynamics lead of DOD's CREATE-AV software: Helios --- a high-fidelity HPC tool for the design and analysis of future vertical lift aircraft. Datta is the founding Chair of the eVTOL Technical Committee of the Vertical Flight Society (VFS) (formerly the American Helicopter Society (AHS)) and a founding member and technical advisor to the VFS Hydrogen Council. He served/serves as a member of the VFS Dynamics Committee (2009-2012, 2016-2019), US Army's Vertical Lift Research Center of Excellence review committee (2012-2015), Chair of NASA Aeronautics Research Institute (NARI)'s working group-2 on commercial intra-city Urban Air Mobility (2017-2018), AIAA Structural Dynamics Committee (2012-present), as Chair of its Conferences Sub-committee (2016-2022) and Vice-Chair of the Committee (2022-), and as Associate Editor of the Journal of the American Helicopter Society (2009-present).
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Best Paper Award in eVTOL, VFS, 2022
Emily Fisler & Anubhav Datta, "Fabrication, Testing, and Comparative Analysis of Lithium Sulfur and Lithium-ion Electrochemistries," VFS Annual Forum-78, Dallas, TX, May 9-13, 2022
- Howard Hughes Award, VFS, 2022
Mars Helicopter Ingenuity Team: NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL), NASA Ames and Langley Research Centers, Lockheed Martin Space, AeroVironment, Qualcomm, SolAero and University of Maryland. "For accomplishing the first powered flight on another planet on April 19, 2021, with a 39.1 sec. flight of the 4-lb (1.8-kg) Ingenuity helicopter on Mars."
- Best Paper Award in Structural Dynamics, AIAA, 2021
Seyhan Gul & Anubhav Datta, "Fundamental Understanding and Prediction of Loads and Stability of a Full-scale Hingeless Tiltrotor," Paper AIAA 2021-0090, SciTech 2021, Virtual, 11–15 & 19–21 January 2021
- Best Paper Awards in Dynamics, VFS, 2021, 2011, 2009, 2005, 2003, and 2002
Seyhan Gul & Anubhav Datta, "Aeroelastic Loads and Stability of Swept-Tip Hingeless Tiltrotors Toward 400 knots Flutter-Free Cruise," VFS Annual Forum-76, Virtual, May 10-14, 2021
- Best Paper Awards in Advanced Vertical Flight, VFS, 2021, 2009
Cheng Chi, Ravi Lumba & Anubhav Datta, "Structural Design and Aeromechanical Analysis of a Next-Generation Mars Hexacopter Rotor," VFS Annual Forum-76, Virtual, May 10-14, 2021
- Forum Technical Chair, VFS Annual Forum-76, 2020
- Chair of VFS eVTOL Technical Committee, 2019
- Keynote at the Electric & Hybrid Aerospace Technology Symposium, Cologne, Germany, 2017
- Associate Fellow AIAA, 2015
- Keynote at the inaugural Asian-Australian Rotorcraft Forum, S Korea, Busan, 2012
- Group Achievement Award, NASA, for Full-scale UH-60A Black Hawk Airloads Testing, 2012
- 13-th Agusta Westland Distinguished Guest Lecture, Agusta Westland Finmeccanica (now Leonardo), Italy, 2011
- Technical Excellence in Publications Award, NASA, 2011
- Alfred Gessow Best Paper Award, AHS, 2011
- Grover E. Bell Award, AHS, 2011
UH-60 Wind-Tunnel Airloads Test Team: US Army, US Air Force, NASA, and The National Full-Scale Aerodynamics Complex(NFAC). "For successfully completing the most intricate and extensive testing ever performed on a full-scale rotor system."
- Group Achievement Award for breakthrough in unsteady aerodynamic modeling, U.S. Army, 2007
- Francois Xavier Bagnoud Award for contributions to rotorcraft under age 35, AHS, 2006
- Rotorcraft Structural Dynamics & Aeromechanics
- High-Speed Tiltrotors
- Mars Helicopters
- Helicopter Dynamics I
- Helicopter Dynamics II
- VFS Short Course on Electric-VTOL
- Patil, M. and Datta, A., "A Scalable Time-Parallel Solution of Periodic Rotor Dynamics in X3D," Journal of the American Helicopter Society, Vol. 66, (4), October 2021. DP_JAHS2021.pdf
- Datta, A., NASA/CR 2021-0000284, "PEM Fuel Cell MODEL for Conceptual Design of Hydrogen eVTOL Aircraft," National Aeronautics and Space Administration, Ames Research Center, January 2021. http://ntrs.nasa.gov/citations/20210000284
- Escobar, D., Chopra, I., and Datta, A., "High-Fidelity Aeromechanical Analysis of Coaxial Mars Helicopter," AIAA Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 58, (3), May 2021.
- Mills, B. and Datta, A. "Fundamental Studies of Variable-Voltage Hybrid-Electric Powertrains," Journal of the American Helicopter Society, Vol. 66, (2), April 2021.
- Chi, C. et al., "Three-Dimensional Strains on Twisted and Swept Composite Rotor Blades in Vacuum," AIAA Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 58, (1), January-February 2021.
- Ng, W., Patil, M., and Datta, A., "Hydrogen Fuel Cell and Battery Hybrid Architecture for Range Extension of Electric VTOL (eVTOL) Aircraft," Journal of the American Helicopter Society, Vol. 66, (1), January 2021. NPD_JAHS2021.pdf
- Johnson, W. et al., NASA/TM 2020-220485, "Mars Science Helicopter Conceptual Design," National Aeronautics and Space Administration, Ames Research Center, March 2020. http://ntrs.nasa.gov/citations/20200002139
- Ng, W. and Datta, A., "Hydrogen Fuel Cells and Batteries for Electric-Vertical Take Off and Landing Aircraft,'' AIAA Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 56, (5), September 2019. ND_JA2019.pdf
- Staruk, W. and Datta, A., "Gimballed Tiltrotor Conversion Flight Loads Prediction using 3-D Structural Analysis,'' AIAA Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 56, (2), March 2019.
- Ward, E., Chopra, I., and Datta, A., "Rotation-Frequency-Driven Extension-Torsion Coupled Self-Twisting Rotor Blades,'' AIAA Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 55, (5), September 2018.
- Staruk, W., Datta, A., Chopra, I., and Jayaraman, B., "An Integrated Three-Dimensional Aeromechanics Analysis of the NASA Tilt Rotor Aeroacoustic Model," Journal of the American Helicopter Society, Vol. 63, (3), July 2018.
- Potsdam, M., Datta, A., and Jayaraman, B., "Computational Investigation and Fundamental Understanding of a Slowed Rotor at High Advance Ratios,'' Journal of the American Helicopter Society, Vol. 61, (2), April 2016.
2014 and earlier
- Datta, A. and Johnson, W., "Power Plant Design and Performance Analysis of a Manned All-Electric Helicopter'' AIAA Journal of Propulsion and Power, Vol. 30, (2), March 2014. DJ_JPP2014.pdf
- Datta, A., Yeo, H. and Norman, T. R., "Experimental Investigation and Fundamental Understanding of a Slowed Rotor at High Advance Ratios,'' Journal of the American Helicopter Society, Vol. 58, (2), April 2013.
- Choi, S., Datta, A., and Alonso, J. "Prediction of Helicopter Rotor Loads using Time-Spectral CFD and An Exact Fluid-Structure Interface,'' Journal of the American Helicopter Society, Vol. 56, (4), October 2011.
- Datta, A. and Johnson, W., "Three-dimensional Finite Element Formulation and Scalable Domain Decomposition for High Fidelity Rotor Dynamic Analysis,'' Journal of the American Helicopter Society, Vol. 56, (2), July 2011.
Conference Papers too large for Journals:
- Tsai, F., Sutherland-Foggio, J., Datta, A., and Privett, D. "The Maryland Tiltrotor Rig (MTR) - The Baseline Gimballed Hub," American Helicopter Society Annual Forum 75, Philadelphia, May 13-16, 2019.
- Datta, A., Tsai, F., and Sutherland-Foggio, J., "Design of a New Tiltrotor Test Facility at the University of Maryland,'' AIAA Paper 2019-2136, SciTech Forum, San Diego, CA, Jan 7-11, 2019.
- Datta, A., "X3D --- A 3D Solid Finite Element Multibody Dynamic Analysis for Rotorcraft,'' American Helicopter Society Technical Meeting on Aeromechanics Design for Vertical Lift, San Francisco, CA, January 20-22, 2016.
- Norman, T. R., Shinoda, P., Peterson, R. L. and Datta, A., "Full-Scale Wind Tunnel Test of the UH-60A Airloads Rotor,'' American Helicopter Society Annual Forum 67, Virginia Beach, May 3–5, 2011.