This form is for current student changing their major within the A. James Clark School of Engineering only. If you are an incoming freshman, please notify an advisor during your orientation date. If you plan to change out of the Engineering School, contact the corresponding college/department.  If you are currently pursuing a double degree or double major, in addition to submiting the "Changing Major within Engineering" online form, you will also need to fill out updated double degree/double major paperwork for your new major.

Before deciding to pursue a Double Major or Double Degree it is important to contact the advisor in your primary major.  Take a few minutes to review the Double Major/Double Degree Policies, Guidelines & Instructions document below. Read the document carefully, print and sign your name then return form to the Undergraduate Advising and Academic Support Office in acknowledgement that you have read and understood the policies, guidelines and instructions. The policy form should be submitted along with the completed Double Major/Double Degree form.  If your primary major is engineering, you are required to have the signature from your secondary major advisor and college as well as your engineering advisor before submitting the Double Major/Double Degree form to the Office of Undergraduate Advising and Academic Support located at 1131S Glenn Martin Hall.

The Clark School of Engineering takes requests for exceptions to policy extremely seriously. We will consider exceptions to academic policy only in "rare and extraordinary circumstances." Requests are not guaranteed and considered on a case-by-case basis.

Exceptions to Policy submissions are typically reviewed on Tuesdays and Thursdays during a regular semester and once a week during the summer and the winter terms. An Exception to Policy request can take between 3-10 business days to be processed, since it takes time to arrive at a fair decision; therefore, do not assume your request will be granted. It is your responsibility as the student to take whatever actions are necessary in the event your request in not approved.

Be sure to select the exception option that best describes your situation. Depending on your request, the form will ask you to complete and submit information necessary to review your petition.

You will be notified via email when your request has been completed.

The Graduation Confirmation Letter Request can only be processed upon successful completion of all remaining courses and meeting all University requirements. This form is for Undergraduate Students Only. If you are a Graduate Student, please contact your department.

The Graduation Worksheet is to be completed the semester that you actually graduate. Make sure to: 1) Apply for Graduation, 2) Complete the Senior Survey, 3) Graduation Worksheet, 4) Print the online u.achieve Student Audit, and 5) Return graduation paperwork to 1131S Martin Hall no later than the Last Day of Schedule Adjustment.

This form is ONLY for students who will complete their degree requirements during the summer or winter terms, but who wish to participate in the PRECEDING spring or fall commencement ceremony.

  • To participate in the fall commencement ceremony, you must be registered to complete your final 4 credits or less during the following winter term. Though you may be permitted to participate in the fall commencement ceremony, you will officially be a spring graduate.  
  • To participate in the spring commencement ceremony, you must be registered to complete your final 7 credits or less during the following summer term. Though you may be permitted to participate in the spring commencement ceremony, you will officially be a summer graduate.

For permission to participate in the commencement ceremony preceding the semester in which you will graduate, please complete the following online form: Request to Walk in Engr. Commencement Ceremony.  Complete the formal graduation application on Testudo, submit graduation paperwork for the semester in which you will be compleating all degree requirements and register for classes required.

You must submit this “request to participate in commencement” form at least two weeks prior to commencement in order to be granted permission.

Please note that permission to participate in the engineering commencement is based upon space availability. Please also be aware that this permission is only for the engineering commencement, as only graduation candidates are permitted to participate in the University-wide ceremony.

*Participating in the Engineering graduation ceremony does not guarantee graduation from the University. You are still responsible for following the graduation application procedures during the semester in which you will actually graduate. Please visit our Graduation Timeline page.

For additional information about graduation ceremonies go to the Commencement page.

International Students
The University does not issue invitation letters for guests to visit the USA to attend commencement ceremonies. These letters are not required by the embassy to issue a B2 visa. The graduating student should submit a copy of their I-20 or DS-2019 to the relative applying for the tourist visa. You can also send an Enrollment Verification Certificate along with the copy of your passport.

The B2 visa is designated for tourist activities, such as sightseeing, visiting friends and relatives, obtaining medical treatment, etc. No invitation letter is needed if the purpose of the activity is to sightsee and visit in the United States.

All current University of Maryland students wishing to take a course off campus must submit a Permission to Enroll (PTE) form. Students majoring in engineering must have the form approved by the A. James Clark School of Engineering PRIOR to registering for the course at the other institution.


The A. James Clark School of Engineering requires a 2.0 minimum cumulative GPA in order to approve PTE request, which means that if you are a new freshman or transfer student, you will need to wait until final grades of your first semester at the University of Maryland are posted and GPA is calculated.

All students are limited as to the number of credits in which they may enroll for a given semester. Students, after their first semester as a Clark School student, may register for a total of 18 credits in the Fall or Spring semesters, a total of 8 credits per Summer session and a total of 4 credits in the Winter semester. 

Student needs to meet UM pre-requisites as well as other institution pre-requisites.

  • A. James Clark School students are not allowed to repeat courses at another institution if they have earned a grade, course(s) need to be retaken at the UM. Students are able to take courses at another institution if they have drop a course, have a "W".
  • Athlete students are required to take their first 24 credits at UM.
  • Students may transfer no more than 60 credits of their degree from a two-year college and 90 credits from a four-year institution
  • Final 30 credits must be taken at UM (in extenuating circumstances Exception to Policy form can be submitted) 
  • Have institution send an official transcript to University Maryland after you complete the course at that institution.

Please do not submit this form until March for Summer or Fall and End of October for Winter and Spring request. Processing time for Permission to Enroll forms can be between 3-10 business dates.

Be sure to read the Student User Guide [pdf] before completing the Permission to Enroll in Another Institution Form [online form for student's use only]. When completing the form, make sure to type the other institution course prefix and course number.

Permission to Enroll forms can take between 5-15 business dates to be processed. Student will receive an email notification from once the form has been processed.  The form can be open by double clicking  the Id number in the left column to see more details about the outcome of your request.

In order to view transfer course equivalencies for UMCP courses, visit the Transfer Credit Services website.

With the approval of the Department and completion of program requirements, an undergraduate degree-seeking student can request to join the combined bachelor's/master's (BS/MS) program. In the BS/MS program, graduate level courses initially taken for undergraduate credit may also be applied towards the graduate credit requirements for a master's degree program at the University of Maryland. Return form to 1131 Martin Hall.

An undergraduate degree-seeking student with approval can apply to take a course for graduate credit only.

Steps to follow when completing form:

  1. Top part to be completed by student
  2. Department Certification- to be signed by student's major Department
    Department Contacts Information
  3. College Certification- to be approved by the School of Engineering (1131S GLMH)
  4. Graduate School Review- to the Graduate School for approval (2133 Lee Bldg.)

Complete this form if you wish to take a graduate level course and have it count for undergraduate credit.

Steps to follow when completing form:

  1. Top part to be completed by student
  2. Departmental Academic Advisor should sign to give permission and denote what the course will count for in the degree
  3. Professor of Grad-level course should sign to give permission to 1131S GLMH Undergraduate Advising & Academic Support