- Any course may be attempted twice.
- Students may repeat up to 18 credit hours.
- A “W” counts as an attempt.
- Both attempts and grades earned will appear on transcript.
- Both attempts are calculated into the cumulative GPA…
except for courses originally taken during the first 24 credits (or for transfer students, courses taken during the first semester as a UM student), in which case there is a grace period. If the course is repeated, only the higher grade will count in the UM GPA.
For more information, please visit: Repeating Policy for Undergraduate Students
If you would like to take a course at another institution and the course and its credits transfer back into the University of Maryland, you are required to submit a “Permission to Enroll” (PTE) form to the A. James Clark School of Engineering before you registered for the course at the other institution.
- The A. James Clark School of Engineering requires a 2.0 minimum cumulative GPA in order to approve PTE request, which means that if you are a new freshman or transfer student, you will need to wait until final grades of your first semester at the University of Maryland are posted and GPA is calculated.
- Student needs to meet UMD pre-requisites as well as other institution pre-requisites.
- A. James Clark School students are not allowed to repeat courses at another institution if they have earned a grade, course(s) needs to be retaken at UMD. Students are able to take courses at another institution if they have dropped a course and received a "W" notation.
- Athlete students are required to take their first 24 credits at UMD.
- Students may transfer no more than 60 credits of their degree from a two-year college and 90 credits from a four-year institution
- Final 30 credits must be taken at UMD (in extenuating circumstances Exception to Policy form can be submitted)
- Have institution send an official transcript to University Maryland after you complete the course at that institution.
* Please do not submit this form until March for Summer or Fall and End of October for Winter and Spring request.
Additional information pertaining to Permission to Enroll in Another Institution Form can be found at Forms and Request.