Thank you for your interest in the Clark School of Engineering. The following information will guide you through the on-line application process as an internal transfer student.
An internal transfer student is defined as a current University of Maryland student whose major is not currently engineering.
What do I need to know BEFORE applying?
- All gateway requirements must be met prior to the application DEADLINE*
- All previous transcripts and AP/IB scores must be sent to the University of Maryland and posted to your student account
Completing the online application
To access the Internal Application to the A. James Clark School of Engineering go to LEP Online Application. Make sure to review your online application before submitting to ensure accuracy. You may only apply once.
- For your records, print out a copy of the application.
- Verify the application with the Digital Signature and Submit.
- Upon submission you will receive a pop-up “admissions confirmation notification” verifying your application was submitted and received by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. You will not receive an email – this is a pop-up window.
*FOR FALL APPLICANTS ONLY: If you are planning on finishing a gateway requirement during Summer Session I – make sure you indicate that on the application. This is the only way the Office of Undergraduate Admissions knows to hold your application for review until the completion of Summer Session I courses. If you are taking a summer course elsewhere you need to submit the transcripts as soon as the grades are posted or you risk not being reviewed for the upcoming semester.
Deadline for Submission
5th business day of January for spring semester admission and June for fall semester admission
- The 5th business day is not necessarily the 5th day of the month. You can submit your application early; however you will not receive an admission response until after the deadline, when the applications are processed.
- The Office of Undergraduate Admissions does not hold any applications for the next semester. If you miss the deadline, you will need to resubmit for the next deadline.
Please allow a minimum of two weeks from the deadline for processing. You will be notified via email from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions regarding the decision. There are only two outcomes: admitted or denied.
Admitted Students - If you are admitted to Clark School, the instructions for changing your major will be outlined in your admission email.
Denied Students - If you are denied admission to the Clark School of Engineering, you will have the opportunity to appeal the admission decision to the Associate Dean of Engineering. The instructions for how to appeal will be outlined in your denial email. If you do not comply with the instructions, your appeal will not be taken into consideration.