- Create or update your resume. Attend our Resume Writing workshop or review our Resume Writing handout for advice.
- Bring your resume to our office for a critique and gain access to your Careers4Engineers account. We are available 8:30am - 4:30pm, Monday - Friday, and we are located in 1131 GL Martin Hall.
- Login to Careers4Engineers, complete your profile, and upload your resume.
- Read your email every day.
- Career Engineer is a weekly e-newsletter generated by Engineering Career Services that summarizes all career-related events & deadlines. Keep your eyes peeled for "Career Engineer" in your inbox.
- Keep a calendar that includes career events and academic obligations.
- Keep track of job descriptions & applications, company contacts, interview dates, and any helpful notes about the process.
Develop Professional Skills
- Attend workshops on the following topics, Find an Internship/Co-op, Resume Writing, Career Fair Prep, Cover Letters, Interviewing, Evaluating Job Offers, and many more.
- Practice your interview skills using InterviewSteam and sign-up for a mock interview in our office.
- Check your wardrobe for proper interview attire.
- Increase your employability by participating in campus research, competitions, student societies, and more.
Explore Opportunities in Your Profession
- Apply for job listings through Careers4Engineers.
- Learn about employers at information sessions.
- Attend UMD Career Fairs to meet potential employers and build contacts.
- If possible, attend the national SWE, NSBE, and SHPE conferences. Their career fairs have hundreds of employers attending each year. Check with the student branches of these organizations to learn more.
- Identify your top 20 employers and check those websites regularly.
- Set-up a search agent in www.USAJobs.gov and other job boards.
Build Your Professional Network
- Create a LinkedIn profile. Our office can help you by reviewing your profile and offering feedback. See LinkedIn Tips for Students.
- Join the Clark School LinkedIn group.
- Tell everyone you know that you are looking for a job/internship, especially those in a tech field.
- Use LinkedIn and Terrapins Connect to conduct informational interview with alums.
And, once you accept a position, let us know! Stop by our office so we can congratulate you or send a quick email to CareerEngr@umd.edu.CHECK OUT OUR TIP SHEETS!