Biochemical Engineering Laboratory
Posting of Urgent Information
Class Syllabus contains
information on textbooks, gradings, etc.
|Week 1 (1/27) ||Snow day
|Week 1 (1/29) ||
Syllabus, Lab Safety, Location of Equipment, BSF Tour|
Premiere Tutorial from Berkeley
Cheese from Milk (Expt 1)
|Week 2 (2/03) ||
Yogurt Fermentation (Expt 8),
|Week 2 (2/05) ||
|Week 3 (2/10) ||
Aseptic Culture Techniques (Expt 8)|
Bugs Are Everywhere
|Week 3 (2/12) ||Beer Fermentation
|Week 4 (2/17 2/19) ||Beer (Expt 15) & Wine (Expt 12)
|Week 5 (2/24 2/26) ||Expt 1
|Week 6 (3/03 3/05) ||Expt 1
|Week 7 (3/10) ||Expt 1
|Week 7 (3/12) ||Expt 2
|Week ? (3/17 3/19) ||Spring Break!
|Week 8 (3/24 3/26) ||Expt 2
|Week 9 (3/31 4/02) ||Expt 2
|Week 10 (4/07 4/09) ||Expt 3
|Week 11 (4/14 4/16) ||Expt 3
|Week 12 (4/21) ||Expt 3
|Week 12 (4/23) ||Expt 4
|Week 13 (4/28 4/30) ||Expt 4
|Week 14 (5/05 5/07) ||Expt 4
|Week 15 (5/12) ||Reserved for snow day make-up
Before coming to the class, please read the applicable
sections of the Lab Manual, write down the objectives of the next
experiment to be performed (what do you want to accomplish) and
procedures (how do you plan to reach your objectives) in your
laboratory notebook, understand the purpose of each step (why do
you do what you do), and try to visualize yourself executing the
entire experiment. Although you can expect some suggestions or
minor modifications (e.g., concentrations of reagents to use) at
the beginning of each lab periods from the instructor, the major
concepts are contained in the Laboratory Manual. Many
experiments are quite flexible. You may want to use the
Laboratory Manual as a guide to modify the objectives and adapt a
better set of procedures.
Additional instruction will be provided during brief lectures
before the lab periods.
# Wang, N. S. et al., 1993.
Optimization of urease production from a thermophilic bacterium #408,
Proceedings of the U.S. Army ERDEC Scientific Conference on Chemical
Defense Research, p695-701.
@ Yang, J. D. and Wang, N. S., 1992. Oxygen mass transfer
enhancement via fermentor headspace pressurization,
Biotechnol. Prog., 8, 244-251.
Guidelines for Technical Writing (by Young & Sampson, Ohio University)
Pay special attention to the "Plagiarism" section.
|Symbol || Experiment || Lab Manual #
| || Cheese & Detergent || 1, 2, 0
| || Yogurt, & Aseptic Culture Techniques || 8, 8A, 8B, 8C, 9B, 9C
|D || kla Measurement (dynamic method) || 16
|S || kla Measurement (sulfite method) || @, 16
|B, G || Batch Fermentation || 9, #
|I || Immobilized Enzyme || 13, 7B,
|E || Enzyme Kinetics || 14
|P || Enzyme Purification (precipitation) || 6, 6A, 6B
|F || Enzyme Purification (filtration) || Pellicon, *
|A || Beer Fermentation || 15
| || Wine Fermentation || 12
List of Experimental Descriptions
- Expt. 0
- General Introduction
- Expt. 1
- Cheese Production from Milk
- Expt. 2
- Enzymes in Laundry Detergents
- Expt. 3
- Digestion of Protein into Amino Acid
- Expt. 3A
- Amino Acid Assay by Ninhydrin Colorimetric Method
- Expt. 4
- Cellulose Degradation
- Expt. 4A
- Glucose Assay by Dinitrosalicylic Colorimetric Method
- Expt. 5
- Starch Hydrolysis by Amylase
- Expt. 6A
- Enzyme Purification by Salt (Ammonium Sulfate) Precipitation
- Expt. 6B
- Enzyme Purification by Acetone Precipitation
- Expt. 6C
- Enzyme Purification by Isoelectric Precipitation
- Expt. 7
- Enzyme Immobilization by Gel Entrapment
- Expt. 7A
- Enzyme Immobilization Protocol -- Entrapment In Polyacrylamide Gel
- Expt. 7B
- Enzyme Immobilization Protocol -- Entrapment In Alginate Gel
- Expt. 7C
- Enzyme Immobilization Protocol -- Entrapment In Gelatin Gel
- Expt. 8
- Yogurt Fermentation with Lactobacillus Cultures
- Expt. 8A
- Aseptic Culture Techniques --- Use of a Steam Autoclave
- Expt. 8B
- Aseptic Culture Techniques --- Petri Dish Preparation
- Expt. 8C
- Aseptic Culture Techniques --- Bugs Are Everywhere!!
- Expt. 9
- Batch Submerged Fermentation of Baker Yeast in a Shaker Flask
- Expt. 9B
- Cell DIfferentiation by Gram's Stain
- Expt. 9C
- Measurements of Cell Biomass Concentration
- Expt. 9D
- Sucrose Assay by the Dinitrosalicylic Colorimetric Method
- Expt. 10
- Cell Fractionation Based on Density Gradient
- Expt. 11
- Cell Immobilization with Calcium Alginate
- Expt. 12
- Wine Fermentation
- Expt. 13
- Continuous Immobilized Enzyme Reactor
- (160x120 AVI movie @3frames/sec, 28.7MB)
- (176x120 MPEG movie @3frames/sec, 32.5MB)
- (352x240 MPEG movie @6frames/sec, 57.6MB)
- (Contact Nam Sun Wang for VHS tapes, VideoCDs, or full resolution mpegs.)
- Expt. 13A
- CNBr Immobilization Procedure
- Expt. 14
- Enzyme Kinetics of Invertase Via Initial Rate Determination
- Expt. 15
- Beer Fermentation (Recipes)
- Expt. 16
- Oxygen Mass Transfer
- (160x120 AVI movie @3frames/sec, 27.0MB)
- (176x120 MPEG movie @3frames/sec, 34.3MB)
- (352x240 MPEG movie @6frames/sec, 60.8MB)
- (Contact Nam Sun Wang for VHS tapes, VideoCDs, or full resolution mpegs.)
Some internet sources of protocols.
Examples of Student Video Reports
The good, the bad, and the ugly -- These are typical student
video reports, with grades ranging from "A" through "C". Contact
Nam Sun Wang for VHS tapes, VideoCDs (VCDs), clearer avis at
higher resolution and frame rate, or full resolution mpegs.
- "Urease Purification by Filtration and Salting Out"
by Barnes, Feick, Hsu (160x120 AVI movie @3fps, 16.5MB)
- "Immobilization of Urease on Glass Fibers" (Covalent Bonding)
by Gannon, Schein (320x240 AVI movie @5fps, 25.5MB)
- "Enzyme Kinetics of Urease"
by Carter, Doleman, Krumins (320x240 AVI movie @6fps, 23.4MB)
- "Transformation of E. coli with GFP Plasmid"
by Kannegeisser, Roddy, Santorios, Soltis (160x120 AVI movie @3fps, 13.6MB)
- "Urease Purification by Salting Out with Ammonium Sulfate"
by Kannegeisser, Roddy, Santorios, Soltis (160x120 AVI movie @3fps, 14.5MB)
- "Enzyme Immobilization in a Stirred Batch Reactor"
by Choe, Ponomarenko,, Song, Sweeney (160x120 AVI movie @3fps, 29.5MB)
- "Purification of Hemoblobin from Green Food Coloring" (Membrane Filtration)
by Choe, Jones, Nguyen, Thomas, Wallenstein (160x120 AVI movie @3fps, 17.8MB)
- "Immobilization of Urease in k-Carageenan Gel"
by Choe, Jones, Nguyen, Thomas, Wallenstein (160x120 AVI movie @3fps, 9.8MB)
- "Batch Fermentation of a Thermophilic Bacterium #408"
by Bhatt, Holton, Pittinger, Russell, Winston (160x120 AVI movie @3fps, 21.8MB)
- "Amylase Immobilized in Alginate Beads"
by Chiang, Jerla, Meenaghan, Merchant (160x120 AVI movie @3fps, 8.6MB)
- "GFP plasmid Recovery"
by Ceary, Cipriano, DiGirolamo, Dufera, Radford (160x120 AVI movie @3fps, 7.7MB)
- "Immobilized Amylase"
by Clark, Huang, Kim, Mantich, Neeley (160x120 AVI movie @3fps, 8.8MB)
- "Size Exclusion Chromatography"
by Alper, Cheong, Fuentevilla, Royston (160x120 AVI movie @3fps, 9.8MB)
- "Amylase Activity as a Function of Temperature"
by Barnie, Enama, Fernandez, Hebert, Singer (160x120 AVI movie @3fps, 11.2MB)
- "Precipitation by Ammonia Sulfate"
by Clark, Huang, Kim, Mantich, Neeley (160x120 AVI movie @3fps, 7.1MB, garbled sound)
- "Continuous Immobilized Amylase Reactor"
by Barnie, Enama, Fernandez, Hebert, Singer (160x120 AVI movie @3fps, 11.9MB)
- "Immobilization of Amylase in Silica Gel"
by Ceary, Cipriano, DiGirolamo, Dufera, Radford (160x120 AVI movie @3fps, 7.4MB)
- "Effect of PH on Protein Expression and E. Coli Growth"
by Gonzales, Kuhns, Nguyen, Taylor (160x120 AVI movie @3fps, 14.8MB)
- "Transient Expression of GFP in Batch Ferementation of Transformed E. Coli MM294"
by Babiskin, Fisher, Lukich, Marrichi (160x120 AVI movie @3fps, 22.4MB)
- "Enzyme and Protein Purification by Ammonium Sulfate Precipitation"
by Gonzales, Kuhns, Nguyen, Taylor (160x120 AVI movie @3fps, 14.9MB)
- "Invertase Immobilization"
by Logan, Prokhorenko (160x120 AVI movie @3fps, 14.5MB)
- "Molecular Weight Determination of Proteins from E. coli Strain MM294"
by Bell, Nurimba, Vu (160x120 AVI movie @3fps, 11.4MB)
- "Expression and Activity of Pectin Methylesterase PME"
by Anderson, Johns, McHugh, Tozzi (160x120 AVI movie @3fps, 16.7MB)
- "IMAC Purification of Avian Influenza Protein"
by Fahrman , Lieb, McKenny, Suchak (160x120 AVI movie @3fps, 17.7MB)
- "Sugar Beet Pulp Characterization"
by Anderson, Johns, McHugh, Tozzi (160x120 AVI movie @3fps, 8.7MB)
- "Plasmid Mini-Prep of Tranformed E. Coli"
by Hua, Machado, Oh (160x120 AVI movie @3fps, 13.5MB)
- "Cell Immobilization in Alginate Gel"
by Arnberg, Morse, Ngatha, Raymond, Snyder (160x120 AVI movie @3fps, 19.8MB)
Some scenes from the lab.
Return to Prof. Nam Sun Wang's Home Page
Forward comments to:
- Nam Sun Wang
- Department of Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering
- University of Maryland
- College Park, MD 20742-2111
- 301-405-1910 (voice)
- 301-314-9126 (FAX)
©1996-2009 by Nam Sun Wang